Monday, January 30, 2012

Midnight in Paris (warning spoilers if you don't know)

Finally had a chance to watch this movie tonight. Before watching it I only knew the two main actors and the director/writer of the movie. When it first begins there was just too many scenes of Paris shown with the music. Extra long soft intros to movies don't grab my attention easily. But once the movie was over I understood the meaning behind the long soft intro to the city of Paris. This movie is more about how Paris herself throughout history has captured the hearts of people and inspired artists, writers, etc. Although I have never been to Paris I can only imagine how beautiful the city is. Someday I'll go visit (maybe). So back to the movie itself. It was subtle the way you were introduced the time travel Gil (Owen Wilson) would take and how those adventures changed his life. He went back to the same time each night at Midnight and befriend people like Ernest Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds. What I did enjoy is how simple it was for him to simply wait until Midnight to climb into a car clearly from the 20's and suddenly find himself in that era. While he is figuring out his own course of action with his life and the book he is trying to write, his fiancee (Rachel McAddams) thinks his stories of his travels are a brain tumor and crazy. You realize they are not really made for each other and wonder why they are getting married at all. She clearly holds another higher than Gil. (That much I'll leave you to find out). I kept waiting to see it end with him staying in the 20's, but rather I was pleasantly surprised with a sort of unexpected ending that allowed him to continue to hold onto the love of the past and the "Golden Era" without the unrealistic ending that he remain in the past. Now all that to say the movie overall was okay, held most of my attention. I wouldn't say it was Oscar worthy (it has been nominated for best picture...why I have no idea). However, it is a pleasantly enjoyable film to watch with your special someone or even just for a quiet night. Its rare to find such an interesting film without all the added hoopla or foul language or over sexed people for no reason. While you won't see me running out to buy it or even watch it again, I do recommend seeing it at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment