Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

When I was younger I would watch Sherlock Holmes with my mom. I can't remember the version or the channel it was on I just remember enjoying it. I've always liked crime drama, detective, hero style shows/movies. A Game of Shadows is a delightful movie with stylized action sequences, intrigue, and of course great banter between Dr. Watson and Holmes. What I love most about the Sherlock Holmes movies is when the camera/action is slowed down to show us the details Holmes sees, the action before it happens, or the action as it's happening.
The camera work, direction, and cinematography add elements that really fit the Holmes movies. It's also nice to see a PG-13 movie without added sexual things when its not needed. No excessive blood in the fighting and barely a bad word. Something I can consider watching with my boys when they are old enough to just follow the story and appreciate the character of Sherlock Holmes.
The story of the movie flows wonderfully, even if you can't truly figure it all out. (We aren't suppose too, only Holmes is to know everything). While I loved the first one, A Game of Shadows had a better plot, more fun, great stylized action, and you truly wondered if Holmes is just an eccentric genius or insane. Those who love Robert Downey Jr, Sherlock Holmes, or just an enjoyable action/intrigue movie will enjoy this movie. I was almost let down at the end, but of course in true Sherlock Holmes style it ended perfectly and (of course) without any hint it did leave room for a third one, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment